Monday, September 21, 2009

Seeking Beauty

This photo was taken at a small area set aside for wildlife outside of Montpelier, Ohio on County Road JSmall Pond










The photo below is of Scorton Creek near Sandwich, Massachusetts on Cape Cod.
Scorton Creek

Living in a place where every time you turn around something beautiful captures your attention and you linger a moment longer soaking it all up is a wonderful experience. But what happens when your time is up? Do you stay a day longer, clinging to brilliant blues and sensual reds or do you do the sensible thing and return to the neutrality of beige and brown? Or…do you set out on a journey of discovery to find the colorful palette of where you are right now?

It’s taken me a while, but I’ve decided to seek the beauty of where I am at this moment in my life. Since the move back to Ohio, I’ve bemoaned the loss of being within walking distance of the Atlantic Ocean. I’ve spent precious time lost in memories of sand dunes and fishing boats dotting the horizon where sea meets sky. I no longer live on Cape Cod, I live in Ohio and it too has a beauty all its own, but I needed to find it behind the mask of memories that veiled my eyes for too long.

In my travels, I’ve come across people with a distorted view of Ohio who use words like, “boring, nothing special, fly-over zone, and my favorite of all, salt of the earth people but lacks culture and beauty.” Perhaps I’m out to prove them wrong or maybe I just need to find the beauty of where I am. In the coming days, weeks, and months I’m seeking the splendor of Ohio, especially here in northwest Ohio.

I hope you’ll join me on this journey of discovery and if you’ve been feeling that where you live lacks luster, venture out and find that where you live right now in this moment of time truly does have beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Teresa, we are of like minds when it comes to our little corner of the earth. I wrote of this awhile back. To me, this will always be home and as such, near and dear to my heart. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is through my discontent that I found my way back to realizing that beauty is everywhere, even in plain old Ohio. This is where I was born, where I grew up, and where I wandered down paths hitting the milestones of my life. Cape Cod will always remain the place of my dreams, but Ohio is the place of my life.

    Thank you for sharing your post, it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Treasured comments from treasured friends...