Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Texture Tuesday in a Hurry

What's the old saying?
That's how I'm feeling today, but I'm still joining Kim Klassen at her Cafe for Texture Tuesday
Bleeding Heart Love
This is one of those photos that I don't feel all that great about, but it meets the requirements for the photo challenge: Use at least one layer of Oh My or Let Go textures.  My artistic process was a long one, probably because I just couldn't seem to get it the way I wanted it to look. Here's the steps I took:

In the Adjustment layers I fiddled with Levels, Brightness/Contrast, and Hue/Saturation. 
Added a color filter.
A layer of Oh My texture mode set to Multiply at 70% opacity with a layer mask to retrieve the color of the bleeding hearts
Finally the layer of Let Go was added and kept at 100% opacity.

I was looking for a painterly effect, but to me it's muddled.  Anyhow, that's how I learn.  How 'bout you?  Do you learn through trial and error? Check out more texture love at...


kimklassencafe

10 comments:

  1. I like the image and the addition of the words subtly in the background. I agree it's a tad muddy; maybe try erasing (or masking) the texture over the blooms just slightly so they're a little clearer color? I think the background is great - soft and murky, but I feel like the blooms could be a little clearer. I totally learn by trial and error in this whole digital process and sometimes it's a very laborious process! I hope you don't mind my suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all, Terrie. In fact, I appreciate it very much. Positive comments boost the ego, but leave me wondering if people are just being nice. Honest critique forces me to look at what I've created from another angle and improve upon it. Thank you for offering sound suggestions.

      Delete
  2. Well, I think it's very beautiful since I adore the textures and bleeding heart too!
    One day I'll understand photo shop.....maybe!
    Cheers from NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bleeding hearts! Learning by trial and error is the way I go about most things. :)

    Thanks for your continued good wishes Teresa! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleeding hearts are great old-fashioned flowers. Yes, I do learn by trial and error...at least I hope I am learning, Sometimes I wonder, though, especially after making the same mistake several times. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. charming!. . . and trial & error is the only mode I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this a beautiful shot. I'd love to see what you come up with as you continue to work your process until you love it. As for trial and error, I don't think there is any other way. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I am definitely a trial and error person. Even with instruction books I look only if I have made too many errors and have lost my way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the more we experiment, the more we learn :) sometimes it's learning the right texture for the right picture too, I'd go for a lighter, chalky texture for your beautiful photograph :)

    ReplyDelete

Treasured comments from treasured friends...