Monday, February 27, 2012






For the last month or so I noticed that more and more bloggers were requiring word verification before publishing a comment.  I found it a bit frustrating when I attempted to comment, but had to try three or more times to have it published.  Call me impatient or the b-word, but if I have to attempt more than twice I'm outta there leaving no evidence that I paid a visit.

Then there are the blogs that not only ask for word verification, but the blogger must read and approve all comments before the comment is published.  I sure understand safety and all that, but isn't both word verification and blogger approval a bit much?  I'm just askin....

Perhaps I've been fortunate, but I've just never had that big of a problem with spammers/stalkers/or otherwise nasty virtual villains.  Or maybe it's that I don't give a damn all that much.  While I don't want people stealing my words or pictures, I guess it's not that big of a deal if they do, is it?  Sure it's unethical, immoral, and just plain wrong, but let's face it....I'm no Diane Arbus...yet. (ha!) 

I figure if I want people to leave a comment I better make it as easy as taking a photo of Toadie the tabby stretched out on the carpet. 
So what do you think about word verification and having to jump through hoops to comment?  Do you think it's ok or should blogs be visitor friendly?  I really love reading blogs and admiring the photography.  I truly want to leave comments on every blog I visit, but I'm tired of the name game, and ya know what...my eyes just can't take it. 

I know others have talked about this on their blogs and I'm lending my voice to the fray.  Click your Settings tab, go to Comments and scroll down through every question making sure you have the settings checked the way you want them and if you can find it in your heart....where it says show word verification, check NO!

8 comments:

  1. I've been on a rant of my own about WV. But what I hate worse??!!?? When I have to do some sort of ridiculous math problem to verify that I'm not a robot. Hey, I'm not a robot....but I don't do math either! :) Toadie has some beautiful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have word verification active on my blog, but recently I took it off. I was afraid of spam, but thankfully, without word verification, blogger seems to catch the spam and keep it from getting into a comment on my blog. (I'm oversimplifying here, but you get what I mean.) Even if something inappropriate is posted I can still delete it.

    I dislike the two word verification thing! Very hard to read and time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can undersdtand why people do this but, as you say, it is often hard to decipher the words, especially as I have cataracts at the moment and find it hard to define the letters.

    Myself, I go for 'Toadie the Cat's' relaxed view of commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I think I turned off verification a while ago...I should check again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theresa, you read my mind. I too, get really annoyed when I have to type a word for verification ( especially when I don't have my glasses on.) That was bad enough, but now they want 2 word verification, that stinks! I dumped it long ago, the spam filter seems to work just fine.
    PS Shabby chic goes to the beach sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Treasured comments from treasured friends...