Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Here's Looking at You, Cupcake!


Did you know cupcakes have been around since the late 1700s? No,no, not the cupcakes I came to know as a kid, but a recipe for cake measured in cups instead of by weight, hence cup cake.  What a journey these favorite sweets have taken, but when did cupcakes become the "it" girl of the dessert world?  Since? Cupcakes have always been special in my book as one of those on the move treats, like a Ho-Ho or Twinkie, only better because they were made at home by my mom who, good golly miss molly, cooked and baked like a woman on a mission.  Well come to think of it she was on a mission, every day, a mission to keep six hungry kids and one husband well-fed and satisfied.  There were no elegant swirls on her cupcakes, no ma'am, those mounds of tender crumbs were topped with the flick of a knife ending in a delicate curl at the top, if she had the time.  She didn't make cupcakes from avacadoes, green tea, or any exotic fruits and nuts, nope, just plain old white, yellow, chocolate, and once in a while cherry chip from a mix.

Simple buttercream frosting flavored with good ole Hershey Cocoa topped it off.  There was seldom time for sprinkles, dragees, or decorations.  Just get 'em frosted, slap 'em on a plate and pass them out with the judicious wisdom of Solomon. 


Taking photos of cupcakes is almost as much fun as eating them and I've noticed I'm not the only one who finds cupcakes a worthy subject.  I've seen cupcakes on so many blogs lately that I've decided that my love affair with taking photos of cupcakes must be put on the back burner for a while.  It's time to move on to something new.  A little bird tweeted that macaroons are eyeing the throne where cupcakes perch, but I don't think there's a place nearby that sells colorful macaroons, so I'm thinking...maybe...cream puffs! Yes, yes, yes....cream puffs with that curl on top and oozing all sorts of puddings, creams, gelatos, ice cream, fruit, sauces, oh so many variations! Who knows maybe I'll start a trend.

For now, it's time to say good-bye to this photogenic confectionary that's captured the eye of the camera crowd. 
 

Love cupcakes? Check out The Cupcake Activist, I swear, this is one serious cupcake lover.    

11 comments:

  1. I honestly cannot remember the last time I ate a cupcake. But let me tell you about the raspberry cheesecake on V Day... divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh...cheesecake does sound wonderful. I've never had cheesecake with raspberries, but it sure sounds delightfully delicious.

    Have a wonderful day, Jeri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a cupcake lover and I'm loving this post too!buy cupcakes online

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful cupcakes. I have not made any since the kids have grown. I am not telling you how long that was. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lona. I'm a cupcake devotee. I make them for my grandson and for some reason prefer cupcakes over a layer or sheet cake. The pink ones at the top I made myself. The bottom one is red velvet and I bought it. Let me tell ya...my red velvet is soooooo much better than this one. I'm thinking they may have forgot the buttermilk and vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Teresa O,
    Fab photographs of cupcakes you captured!

    Like you, I could photograph desserts all day long......every day. I love it!

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is making me hungry for sweets! Beautiful captures! Thanks so much for following my blog. It's a new adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look delicious and it's been too long since i had one...being GF is not very fun for someone with a sweet tooth but it does keep one out of the goods i suppose...hope you enjoyed one of these or five. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Constance...I was thinking about why I prefer photographing desserts. I've come to the conclusions it's because sweets are pretty. Beef stew is homely compared to the charm of petit fours.

    Have a wonderful day!

    Anna...thanks for stopping by and it is such an adventure and one I'm enjoying more and more.

    Linda...I had a couple and mine were definitely tastier than the one I bought just so I could photograph it. The problem is that those little darlings like to stay with me. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yumm!

    Beautiful images and a wonderful homage to the cupcake! Though I am no an activist, I am happy that it has a bigger presence in our dessert choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We made pink cupcakes for Valentine's Day . . . like you, and so many others!
    Macarons ARE absolutely gorgeous, too -- and you are right that they are becoming really trendy. I have clipped out a recipe for them that I keep meaning to try. I love baking, but they are one thing that I've never attempted.

    My favourite cupcake of the moment is lime/coconut. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Treasured comments from treasured friends...